Mixed Salad of Thoughts

Monday, December 10, 2007

Grammar

I have always believed in using proper grammar and have had the normal cringes at the wrong uses of "their/there/they're" or "it/it's" and all of the other obvious common errors, but having just worked on my fourth Nanowrimo novel I realized how much more focused and thoughtful I am of my grammar and writing these days. I think I have crossed over some line where now I feel completely uneducated and feel that my understanding of grammar is completely inadequate. I spend time fretting over whether I should be adding commas or semi-colons, over the proper use of a term, and over the changing of tenses and point-of-view. I struggle over proper punctuation to both conform to grammar rules and allow the proper reading of dialog.

I feel like having reached this level is like that moment when you realize it [u]is[/u] more fun to dance without being thrown around the floor, like the moment that you have a wonderful dance and realize how immature all of the rest of what you have been doing seems. I am at the point where reading about participial phrases is pleasurable because I can see how this knowledge will improve my writing and my communication in general. I am looking forward to reading up on punctuation and clauses.

I am an aspiring grammar nerd.



Visit my other blog here

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

A good book for learning the ins and outs of being a punctuation-Nazi is "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". You can play a punctuation game on the website.
http://www.eatsshootsandleaves.com

10:39 PM  
Blogger Nathan Brown said...

Its like your trying to be a elitist. Well I can grammerize just as good. So their.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home